Amanda-Users

Re: out of tape ??

2003-10-06 02:51:16
Subject: Re: out of tape ??
From: Tony <td_miles AT yahoo DOT com>
To: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 07:43:29 +0100 (BST)
Hi Frank,

Thanks for your response, see comments inline.

regards,
Tony.

 --- Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com> wrote: > --On Monday,
October 06, 2003 06:36:41 +0100 Tony

> So what was on the 'taper' line of the report ?  It should
> look
> something like:
> taper: tape archive07 kb 43505184 fm 23 [OK]   (from one of my
> reports)
> which tells you how many bytes and images were successfully
> written
> to tape.

For the one using software-compression (gzip):

  taper: tape daily01wed kb 14775776 fm 29 writing file: No
space left on device driver: going into degraded mode because of
tape error.

For the one not using sw-compression:

  taper: tape daily01fri kb 22303072 fm 29 writing file: No
space left on device

> Is the dump going to a holding disk and then streamed to tape,
> or
> as it looks like from the times, going straight to tape?  If
> the
> latter, if it isn't dumping fast enough the tape might be
> catching
> up and shoe-shining as it constantly backspaces and starts
> over.
> That can waste a lot of tape as well as being slow.

holding disk is defined as: 4000 MB

I will try setting this to a larger value, what is recommended ?
Does Amanda have to dump each disk set to holding disk before it
can be backed up to tape ? Or can Amanda stream to the holding
disk at the same time the tape dumper is streaming that same
file onto tape ?

Not too sure on how fast you think it should be backing up, but
according to the specs the native sustained transfer rate is "up
to" 165MB/min. If you devide 20000MB by 165MB/min you get 121
minutes (2 hours) which is pretty much exactly how long it is
taking.

http://www.certance.com/products/CertanceDrives/STD2401LW-S-TechSpec.html

(this may not be the exact same drive, but the one I have is an
IBM rebadged product that identifies itself as a Seagate drive,
so it would be close to the URL above)