Amanda-Users

Re: Setup

2003-10-03 09:17:36
Subject: Re: Setup
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 09:11:40 -0400
On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 04:09:42PM +0530, Rohit wrote:
> Thanks again!
>
> Last question before I get into exprementing with Amanda :)
>
> How does Amanda handle shares on remote machines? Do I have
> to NFS mount remote shares before amdump is called? Or Amanda
> handle by itself?

"Have to"?  Amanda is too flexible for that :))

I associate "shares" with M$ OS's and do not normally think of
NFS with them.  But if you can do that, that is fine.  From
an earlier posting:

|| Couple of things however.  There are several ways to backup
|| pc shares with amanda.  Perhaps the simplest, particularly if
|| you already have it setup, is samba.

For unix/linux systems the prefered way is to build and install the
client components of amanda on each system.  The amanda server
(probably also the tape host, but not necessarily) has the scheduling
and indexing components.  If it backs up itself, it is also a client.

"Native" client software for M$ OS's is a long planned, but incompletely
implemented amanda project.  A few sites may already be using it, but I
personally do not consider it "ready for prime time".

Lots of alternatives exist, which to choose is an individual decision.
Among them are:

 - client software on a linux/unix box that has samba access to the pc
 - ditto for smbmount (similar to NFS mounts)
 - NFS server on pc mounted to one of the clients
 - some form of native backup (what is it called, NTbackup?) to files
   and somehow arrange for the files to be backed up by an amanda client
 - rsync of specific files (registry dump?) or dirs to an amanda client
 - a unix-like installation on the pc (cygwin/uwin/sfu/mks) with a build
   and install of amanda client software

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)