Amanda-Users

Re: Another Amanda + Win32 backup problem

2003-09-30 03:19:55
Subject: Re: Another Amanda + Win32 backup problem
From: Christopher Odenbach <odenbach AT hni.upb DOT de>
To: "Jason Tedesco" <jtedesco AT request.com DOT au>, <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 09:13:48 +0200
Hi Jason,

> I am trying to backup a win32 host with Amanda and keep running into
> problems.  I compiled Amanda with smbclient full path. When I try
> executing an amcheck I receive the following error.
>
> Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
> --------------------------------
> WARNING: mymachine.host.org: selfcheck request timed out.  Host down?
> Client check: 1 host checked in 30.019 seconds, 1 problem found
>
> (brought to you by Amanda 2.4.4p1)
>
> I also receive this error in my logfile.
> ERROR planner Request to mymachine.host.org timed out.
>
> I increased the etimeout in amanda.conf although that did not change
> a thing. I can use smbclient to mount my drive without a problem, and
> the directory shard on the win32 host has no permissions set.
>
> This is what I have below in my disklist
> mymachine.host.org //mymachine/temp comp-root-tar

I think you have not quite understood how amanda's samba backups work.

The first entry in the disklist should point to the unix/linux host that
actually starts smbclient. This can be (but does not have to be) your
tape server. Your tape server is actually quite a good idea to prevent
unneccessary data transfer through your network.

The second entry contains usually the disk. This is the point where
samba jumps into: If the disk is something like //<host>/<share>, then
the backup is done via smbclient to the host <host>.

So: correct your disklist entry to something like

yourtapeserver.host.org //mymachine/temp comp-root-tar

> The reason why I have amandapass in two directories is because I am
> unsure which one will be used by amanda on a solaris 8 box.

Try this on the solaris box (that is on your tape server!):

odenbach@pooh[~]>>strings /opt/amanda/libexec/sendbackup | grep
amandapass
/etc/amandapass

This is the correct path.