Amanda-Users

RE: Recovering from backup to file

2003-09-25 15:16:57
Subject: RE: Recovering from backup to file
From: "Josh Welch" <jwelch AT buffalowildwings DOT com>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 12:30:18 -0500
Jon LaBadie said:

> On Thu, Sep 25, 2003 at 10:16:48AM -0500, Josh Welch wrote:
> > However, it now turns out that when I have been archiving my backups to
> > tape, I have not been archiving the index files, crap. So, I
> have the files
> > backed up, but not sure how to get at the data within. I read
> about using dd
> > to get at a tapes contents and then untarring them, and so I
> tried using tar
> > to extract from the 000030.mplslx1.buffalowildwings.com_home.0
> file, but it
> > said it was not a tar archive. So, I am wondering if anyone has
> any ideas of
> > how I can go about this.
>
> dd the first 32K block of the file to see instructions.

Huh, I figured this would be different, but now that you point it out I
don't know why it would be different. Amanda doesn't know the difference if
she's writing to a tape or a file on disk, makes sense.
For archival purposes, the command:
        # dd if=AMANDA.DUMP.FILE.NAME of=info.txt bs=32k count=1
Kicked out this information to info.txt:
AMANDA: FILE 20030915 mplslx1.buffalowildwings.com /var lev 0 comp .gz
program /bin/gtar
        To restore, position tape at start of file and run:
                dd if=<tape> bs=32k skip=1 | /bin/gzip -dc | bin/gtar -f... -
So, I'm off to do that.

Thanks,
Josh