Amanda-Users

Recovering from backup to file

2003-09-25 11:21:35
Subject: Recovering from backup to file
From: "Josh Welch" <jwelch AT buffalowildwings DOT com>
To: "Amanda-Users" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 10:16:48 -0500
I am backing up using the file driver. I have successfully done a few
restores using amrecover, it seem pretty slick. I then would put the backup
files to tape for archival purposes. Within the data folder of each "tape"
folder I would have files such as this:
00000-Tape05
00000.Tape05
00001-mplslx1.buffalowildwings.com._.0
00001.mplslx1.buffalowildwings.com._.0
00002-b45.buffalowildwings.com._home.0
00002.b45.buffalowildwings.com._home.0
.
etc, etc, etc
.
00010-mplslx1.buffalowildwings.com._home.0
00010.mplslx1.buffalowildwings.com._home.0
00011-TAPEEND
00011.TAPEEND
However, it now turns out that when I have been archiving my backups to
tape, I have not been archiving the index files, crap. So, I have the files
backed up, but not sure how to get at the data within. I read about using dd
to get at a tapes contents and then untarring them, and so I tried using tar
to extract from the 000030.mplslx1.buffalowildwings.com_home.0 file, but it
said it was not a tar archive. So, I am wondering if anyone has any ideas of
how I can go about this.

Thanks,
Josh