Amanda-Users

Bad? noises from tape drive

2003-09-24 18:26:43
Subject: Bad? noises from tape drive
From: Stephen Walton <stephen.walton AT csun DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 15:22:56 -0700
We just swapped a worn-out 6-tape DDS-3 changer for a new 8-tape DDS-4
changer, specifically the Compaq StorageWorks part number 166505-001.

When I tested this new drive with "chg-scsi -slot 0", I find that it
makes quite a few clicking noises, as if a tape is being loaded/unloaded
or searched for repeatedly.  These noises are distinctly different than
if I manually select a tape via the front panel, which happens smoothly
with one clicking noise and relatively quickly.  With chg-scsi, the
error LED on the front panel also comes on.  The correct tape does
eventually load, but I'm wondering if I should switch to some other
changer software or fix chg-scsi or what?  I'm using Amanda 2.4.4 on
RedHat 8.