Amanda-Users

Re: help with backing up

2003-09-24 12:41:38
Subject: Re: help with backing up
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 12:39:08 -0400
On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 11:21:14AM -0500, chris weisiger wrote:
> Here is the only thing i have in my disklist file:
>
> bs1     /home root-tar
>
> of course i backed up the original
>
> here is two example lines from the original disklist file
> #joespc  wd0e comp-user
> #joespc /msdos comp-user-tar
>
> now i know /msdos is  a directory, what would wd0e be? a directory or a
> disk that will be used to back up the host joespc?
>
> here is where i am in trying to get my backup to work...
>
> switching of tapes , moving prev/next, setting labels all working....
>
> i run the following command to do my backup
>
> amdump DailySet1
>
> i then tail the amdump log file..the only problem is i really dont know
> exactly if the dump is
> working or not...i have used the amstatus command....but again not
> exactly know how to
> read it still....can someone paste an log file that shows and working
> dump log file...
> and i have even used the adadmin command to find directories on tapes
> and nothing shows up
>
> [root@bs1 DailySet1]# su amanda -c "amadmin DailySet1 find localhost
> DailySet15 /etc"

As a first comment, are you, or who ever is specified in amanda.conf,
getting an emailed report after each amdump?  You should.  What about
amcheck with and without the mail option.

Next, rather than running

        amadmin DailySet1 find localhost DailySet15 /etc

which is kinda specific (only finds dumps of a disklist entry for
the /etc directory, which you probably don't have but have /; and
only for localhost in the disklist which you probably don't have
but have "joespc" or "bs1"; and only on tape DailySet15 which is
not a valid request), --- like that run on parenthetical clause? ---
instead ask to find anything from a host.  Like:

        amadmin DailySet1 find bs1

jl
 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)