Amanda-Users

Why a difference in the sizes of the original and the restored directories?

2003-09-22 15:16:24
Subject: Why a difference in the sizes of the original and the restored directories?
From: Bruno Negrão <bnegrao-amanda AT engepel.com DOT br>
To: "amanda users" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 16:13:27 -0300
Hi guys,

I just recovered my first backup successfully using amanda and I noticed a
phenomenon which I´d like to receive opinions from you.

I fully backed up the /etc directory of one of my servers and restored in the
/root/etc directory. These two directories differ each other on its sizes, where
the original /etc directory is slightly bigger than its backup. See bellow the
output of the du command which demonstrates this difference:

[root@skylane root]# du -sk /root/etc
24869   /root/etc
[root@skylane root]# du -sk /etc
24885   /etc

Is this normal?
The backup process didn´t show any error message.

Thank you,
Bruno Negrão.