Amanda-Users

Re: amrecover problem

2003-09-22 03:37:53
Subject: Re: amrecover problem
From: Markus Dohmann <dohmann AT sdac.hannover.bgr DOT de>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 09:34:38 +0200 (MET DST)
Hi Jon,

> On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 08:42:53AM +0200, Markus Dohmann wrote:
> > Hello amada-users lists,
> >
> > we are using Amanda 2.4.4 (Solaris 8) with GNU tar (1.13.25) and a
> > tape archive (Overland LoaderXpress SDLT). Everything works fine except
> > for the setting of the recovery date of directories.

> > All owner modes were ok, but the date of the directories get the actual
> > system time. Files in this directories have the correct time.
> > Do you have any idea or hint?
>
> I'm pretty certain that is the normal effect of recoveries.
> I do not believe there is a workaround.

When I use /bin/tar from Solaris 8 (instead of GNU tar) and tar a directory
tree and then extract this tar archive, the directories have the corret date
and time.

> You see the same thing with "pass through" transfer of one directory
> tree to another location with cpio or tar (i.e. cpio | cpio or tar | tar
> to copy a dir tree).  The directories always have the current date/time
> even when the "preserve mod times" options are used.
>
> I think the reason is that the directories, which are actually files,
> are not copied into the backup image, just noted.  Then they are
> recreated as needed during recovery.

It seems so, but in the example I sent there are directories recovered with the
original dateand time, Ithink in this case all directories without a year
number
only month and time:

drwxr-xr-x   7 dohmann  b311         512 Mar 28 10:02 system/

Markus