Amanda-Users

Re: inquiry on restoring amanda dump from the holding disk

2003-09-17 04:05:42
Subject: Re: inquiry on restoring amanda dump from the holding disk
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Mariel Luciano <mariel.luciano AT onsemi DOT com>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 10:02:27 +0200
Mariel Luciano wrote:

I was able to setup Amanda on three Linux systems. One acts as the
server and the other two the clients. I was successfully run amdump
generating two files w/ .0 extension to my holding disk. My server
doesn't have any tape drive and I really find it very difficult to
restore my backups. I looked at the Amanda and other website and it
seems that every instructions I found requires a tape drive to restore.
Anyone can help me on this? Coz "nobody cares if you can backup, only if
you can restore".

First there is docs/RESTORE (in the source tree if you compiled amanda
yourself or probably in /usr/share/docs/amanda*/RESTORE if you got it
from an RPM or such).

When you have read this, you need to understand that the files-on-disk
are very similar to the files on tape:  they contain a header (normally
32k) followed by the image of the restore program.  A diskfile could
be split up by "chunksize", and then each chunk contains a similar header. So it doesn't matter if the bytes are on tape or on disk,
the commands are similar (but on disk it's much faster, and you don't
need "mt fsf" etc.)

Then "man amrecover" and "man amrestore".

In the amrestore man page (the more "basic" restoration utility, just
above dd and tar/restore) there is even in the examples:

> You  may also use amrestore to extract a backup image from
> a holding disk file that has not yet been flushed to tape:
>
>  % amrestore -p /amanda/20001119/seine.rz1a.2 | restore -ivbf 2 -

Tip:  If you really want to keep this setup with "backup to disk", then
it's worth to have a look at the "file:" driver instead of keeping
the holdingdisk files.  This driver was added in amanda 2.4.3.