Amanda-Users

Re: Using amanda with just 1 tape - for testing

2003-09-16 14:29:39
Subject: Re: Using amanda with just 1 tape - for testing
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Bruno Negrão <bnegrao-amanda AT engepel.com DOT br>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 14:26:39 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 at 3:00pm, Bruno Negrão wrote

> Is there a configuration for amanda where I can use just 1 tape?(always full
> dumps, one overriding the previous)
> I want to avoid keep changing between tapes since my root is far from the
> tape server :-(
>
> I set the following parameters to:
> dumpcycle 0 days        # the number of days in the normal dump cycle
> runspercycle 1 days     # the number of amdump runs in dumpcycle days
> tapecycle 0 tapes       # the number of tapes in rotation
>
> But amdump is still wainting for a "new tape".

You said you want one tape, but you told amanda 0 tapes.  Set tapecycle to
1 tape, amlabel one tape, and off you go.

This is a Bad Idea, though.  Every amdump (even if it dies prematurely)
will erase your entire last amdump.  So if the run dies 2 bits in, then
you are left without *any* backup.  If something dies that day, you're
SOL.  I'd strongly urge you to look into other solutions.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering