Amanda-Users

Re: Testing amanda: running amdump "early" and other questions

2003-09-09 10:50:21
Subject: Re: Testing amanda: running amdump "early" and other questions
From: Eric Sproul <esproul AT ntelos DOT net>
To: Jack Baty <jbaty AT fusionary DOT com>
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2003 10:44:44 -0400
On Tue, 2003-09-09 at 10:29, Jack Baty wrote:
> I've added a couple of DLEs to the configuration this morning. I'd like
> to try running amdump "early" instead of waiting for the nightly cron
> job to run it so that if it works I can add a few more DLEs sooner. Is
> it a bad idea to run amdump manually before it's "supposed" to run? What
> effect would this have on the tapecycle/dumpcycle/runspercycle?

It does not hurt at all, it just increments to the next tape when the
scheduled run time comes around.  It might affect the planner's
decisions regarding incrementals, bumps, etc. but if you're really
paranoid, you can selectively dump only the new DLEs, as in:

amdump config [ host [ disk ]* ]*

If you just specify the config, amdump goes for everything you have
specified in that config's disklist.  If you specify a host, it will
dump all the DLEs listed for that host.  You can specify down to a
single DLE if you wish.  Check the amdump(8) man page for more details.

Alternatively, if you are just concerned that you got the config right,
use amcheck(8) instead.  It will let you know if there are any errors,
but you don't burn a tape or mess up the planner schedule.  Use the same
syntax as above to specify less than everything if that is what you
want.

> Also, I'm not here to change tapes on weekends, so I've got cron running
> nightly Monday-Friday and amanda.conf has..
>
> dumpcycle 2 weeks
> runspercycle 10
> tapecycle 20
>
> That seems right, but it's a little confusing (too much Googling can be
> a bad thing :)

Yes, that looks correct.  You are running 10 times within your 2-week
cycle (weekdays only), and you have two dumpcycles worth of tapes in
rotation, so you don't risk overwriting your only full dump of
something.

> Will indexing be enabled in that case? In my case, I'm getting the "no
> index records." error when running amrecover. Most of the examples use
> "index yes" instead. Which is it?

The standard definition for tar backups will index.  If after the first
full run of a host/DLE you don't have indexes, post more specific info
on your config and someone will assist you.

Cheers,
Eric