Amanda-Users

include vs. exclude?

2003-09-08 15:44:02
Subject: include vs. exclude?
From: Eric Sproul <esproul AT ntelos DOT net>
To: AMANDA Users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 15:38:57 -0400
Hi all,
I noticed in the archives that back in May, Mathias Körber asked this
question, but no answer was offered.  If by chance someone "in the know"
missed that question, I'll ask it again, since I'm wondering how to
accomplish a particular task.

What is the relationship between the "include" and "exclude" features?
I am using excludes quite successfully, but I have a new DLE that would
best be done with a single "include".

I have a Debian box offering MySQL services, with a large partition for
storing the database info.  I know that AMANDA cannot back up the db
files directly, so I have a script that dumps each database to a file,
and those files are what I want to back up.  For disk space reasons,
this backup directory is on the same partition as the active db files.

OK, time to specify the include (the mountpoint of /dev/md4 is
/var/lib/mysql):

monty  md4  {
            comp-user-tar
            include "./.backup"
            } 0

Will the above statement include *only* the directory "./.backup",
implicitly excluding everything else, or do I need to append an exclude
of "./*"?  If I do have to specify both include and exclude, does the
order matter?

Thanks,
Eric