Amanda-Users

Re: About Linus's condemnation of Dump

2003-09-07 15:57:10
Subject: Re: About Linus's condemnation of Dump
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Scott Phelps <sphelps1 AT cox DOT net>
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2003 15:54:30 -0400 (EDT)
On Sat, 6 Sep 2003 at 8:26pm, Scott Phelps wrote

> Read whole thing here:
> http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/linux/linux-kernel/2001-16/1175.html

As has been mentioned, this has been hashed over on this list on multiple
occasions, so check the archives.

> Anyhoo, I find myself currently using the Reiser filesystem, and I am now
> considering backing up critical config files and directories on my servers
> with tar and rebuilding them from scratch using XFS since that filesystem has
> a working version of dump ('xfsdump').

Well, there is no 'dump' for Reiser -- all dump programs are FS specific.
And a lot of trust tar just find, so there's really no reason to switch
FSs just to get a working dump.

> Any comments, advice? (Does Amanda even work with xfsdump/xfsrestore?

Yep -- works just fine.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering