Amanda-Users

About Linus's condemnation of Dump

2003-09-06 20:35:33
Subject: About Linus's condemnation of Dump
From: Scott Phelps <sphelps1 AT cox DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2003 20:26:57 -0400
I just stumbled over an email from Linus stating the following:
<< snip snip >>
"Note that dump simply won't work reliably at all even in 2.4.x: the buffer
cache and the page cache (where all the actual data is) are not
coherent. This is only going to get even worse in 2.5.x, when the
directories are moved into the page cache as well.

So anybody who depends on "dump" getting backups right is already playing
russian rulette with their backups. It's not at all guaranteed to get the
right results - you may end up having stale data in the buffer cache that
ends up being "backed up".

Dump was a stupid program in the first place. Leave it behind."
<< end snip >>

Read whole thing here:
http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/linux/linux-kernel/2001-16/1175.html

Anyhoo, I find myself currently using the Reiser filesystem, and I am now
considering backing up critical config files and directories on my servers
with tar and rebuilding them from scratch using XFS since that filesystem has
a working version of dump ('xfsdump').

Any comments, advice? (Does Amanda even work with xfsdump/xfsrestore?

Thanks,

Scott Phelps