Amanda-Users

Storing Multiple Runs on Disk (was Re: strange dump summary)

2003-09-03 11:20:32
Subject: Storing Multiple Runs on Disk (was Re: strange dump summary)
From: "Steven J. Backus" <backus AT math.utah DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 09:16:18 -0600 (MDT)
Matt Hyclak <hyclak AT math.ohiou DOT edu> writes:

> I do the same thing by just leaving the tape out of the drive. The other
> option is to configure amanda to use for example, /dev/amtape as its no
> rewind device.

Might want to search the archives for /dev/fridaytape, we've
discussed this before.

> Run a cron job that points /dev/amtape to /dev/nst0 (or
> whatever is appropriate) on friday, then after the dumps, points it to some
> non-existent device (NOT /dev/null!!!),

Such as:

0 15 * * 5 ln -s /dev/nst0 /dev/fridaytape; /usr/local/sbin/amcheck -m <conf>
0 19 * * 5 /usr/local/sbin/amdump <conf>; rm /dev/fridaytape

> You may get some complaints in the e-mails from amanda about not being
> able to access the tape device, but it gets the job done.

You can avoid this by using -c (client check only):

0 15 * * 1-4 /usr/local/sbin/amcheck -c -m <conf>

One caveat is you must create /dev/fridaytape in order to label
tapes...

Steve