Amanda-Users

Re: strange dump summary

2003-09-02 23:56:51
Subject: Re: strange dump summary
From: Matt Hyclak <hyclak AT math.ohiou DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 23:50:58 -0400
On Tue, Sep 02, 2003 at 06:51:43PM -0500, David Barcelo enlightened us:
> Is there a way to force a backup to the holding disk?  I want to keep
> several days worth of incrementals on disk and then flush them to disk
> on Friday.

I do the same thing by just leaving the tape out of the drive. The other
option is to configure amanda to use for example, /dev/amtape as its no
rewind device. Run a cron job that points /dev/amtape to /dev/nst0 (or
whatever is appropriate) on friday, then after the dumps, points it to some
non-existent device (NOT /dev/null!!!), so that it will leave the dumps on
disk. You may get some complaints in the e-mails from amanda about not being
able to access the tape device, but it gets the job done.

Matt

--
Matt Hyclak
Department of Mathematics