Amanda-Users

Re: No amanda.conf file

2003-08-28 03:24:19
Subject: Re: No amanda.conf file
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Theresa Chen <therchen AT cs.fsu DOT edu>, AMANDA Users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 09:14:52 +0200
Theresa Chen wrote:

I'm a newbie and I am trying to find a more cost effective solution to our
current bru...  I'm wondering if you can help me out: right now after the
installation, the following files were not created:
/usr/local/etc/amanda/
/usr/local/etc/amanda/amanda.conf

That file doesn't exist.  It would be named with the name of
your CONFIG as subdirectory:
/usr/local/etc/amanda/CONFIG/amanda.conf

I've looked through the directions carefully, and reinstalled the software
several times, but still no avail.  Any reason?  I am running on an x86
RH9 distro.

Are you installing from RPMs?  I don't, but last time I looked, the
files would have been created in /etc/amanda/DailySet1/amanda.conf.
Try "rpm -q -l amanda-server" to be sure.
Read the docs in /usr/share/doc/amanda-server* even if you didn't
compile the software yourself.  Also, because amanda currently has
too many configurable options at compile time instead of at run time,
people on this list usually suggest to compile the software yourself.
Moreover, the rpm is probably not based on amanda 2.4.4p1, so you're
stuck with an older version with less features.

If you are installing by compiling the software yourself,
then you need to create these files manually; they are not installed by "make install". You find a template file in the source tree: example/amanda.conf.in .
And while you're there, read docs/INSTALL too.