Amanda-Users

Re: Multiple backups on one tape.

2003-08-27 14:13:55
Subject: Re: Multiple backups on one tape.
From: Matt Hyclak <hyclak AT math.ohiou DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 14:11:19 -0400
On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 01:15:54PM -0500, David Barcelo enlightened us:
> hello all,
>  I have read the Amanda site and seen the faqo-o-matic about amanda not
> being able to have multiple backups on one tape.  Even though I have
> read this I am still curious.  Is is it still possible to just use one
> tape during a 1 week dumpcycle and 5 runspercycle policy?  Can I get
> Amanda to append backups?

The only way to do this is to let the backups build up on the holding disk
and then flush them all at once. This is what I do here since I have 100GB
native tapes and not nearly that much data being backed up (yet...). Amanda
will not append to tapes, as there is no guarantee the tape is in the right
position, and overwriting your backups is not a good thing.

Matt

--
Matt Hyclak
Department of Mathematics