Amanda-Users

Help with amdump

2003-08-26 12:41:37
Subject: Help with amdump
From: "Viaris" <bmeneses_beltran AT hotmail DOT com>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 10:30:31 -0600
Hi All,

I have problems with amanda, I am begining, I need to Know If my backup is
fine, If I to want to see the content of my backup, do Can I do using tar?,
example tar tvf /dev/st0

I want to know like I can assure that the backup this good done, what tests
I need to know it?

The mail that amanda sendme is:

These dumps were to tape DailySet10.
The next tape Amanda expects to use is: a new tape.

STATISTICS:
                          Total       Full      Daily
                        --------   --------   --------
Estimate Time (hrs:min)    0:00
Run Time (hrs:min)         0:01
Dump Time (hrs:min)        0:00       0:00       0:00
Output Size (meg)           0.2        0.0        0.2
Original Size (meg)         0.4        0.0        0.4
Avg Compressed Size (%)    13.9        --        13.9   (level:#disks ...)
Filesystems Dumped            2          0          2   (1:2)
Avg Dump Rate (k/s)      2594.6        --      2594.6

Tape Time (hrs:min)        0:00       0:00       0:00
Tape Size (meg)             0.2        0.0        0.2
Tape Used (%)               0.0        0.0        0.0   (level:#disks ...)
Filesystems Taped             2          0          2   (1:2)
Avg Tp Write Rate (k/s)    50.5        --        50.5

?
NOTES:
  taper: tape DailySet10 kb 256 fm 2 [OK]

?
DUMP SUMMARY:
                                     DUMPER STATS            TAPER STATS
HOSTNAME     DISK        L ORIG-KB OUT-KB COMP% MMM:SS  KB/s MMM:SS  KB/s
-------------------------- --------------------------------- ------------
localhost    /etc        1     230     32  13.9   0:00 789.4   0:03  21.5
respaldo     /opt        1     160    160   --    0:004660.9   0:02  91.7

My amanda.conf have:

org "DailySet1"         # your organization name for reports
mailto "amanda"         # space separated list of operators at your site
dumpuser "amanda"       # the user to run dumps under

inparallel 4            # maximum dumpers that will run in parallel
netusage  600 Kbps      # maximum net bandwidth for Amanda, in KB per sec

dumpcycle 4 weeks       # the number of days in the normal dump cycle
runspercycle 4 weeks    # the number of amdump runs in dumpcycle days
tapecycle 25 tapes      # the number of tapes in rotation
                        # 4 weeks (dumpcycle) times 5 tapes per week (just
                        # the weekdays) plus a few to handle errors that
                        # need amflush and so we do not overwrite the full
                        # backups performed at the beginning of the previous
                        # cycle

bumpsize 20 Mb          # minimum savings (threshold) to bump level 1 -> 2
bumpdays 1              # minimum days at each level
bumpmult 4              # threshold = bumpsize * bumpmult^(level-1)

etimeout 300            # number of seconds per filesystem for estimates.

runtapes 1              # number of tapes to be used in a single run of
amdump
tapedev "/dev/nst0"     # the no-rewind tape device to be used

tapetype HP-DAT         # what kind of tape it is (see tapetypes below)
labelstr "^DailySet1[0-9][0-9]*$"       # label constraint regex: all tapes
must match

holdingdisk hd1 {
    comment "main holding disk"
    directory "/var/tmp/amanda" # where the holding disk is
    use 290 Mb          # how much space can we use on it
                        # a negative value mean:
                        #        use all space except that value
#    chunksize 2 Gb     # size of chunk if you want big dump to be
                        # dumped on multiple files on holding disks
                        #  N Kb/Mb/Gb split disks in chunks of size N
                        #  0          split disks in INT_MAX/1024 Kb chunks
                        # -N Kb/Mb/Gb dont split, dump larger
                        #             filesystems directly to tape
                        #             (example: -2 Gb)
    }
infofile "/var/lib/amanda/DailySet1/curinfo"    # database filename
logdir   "/var/lib/amanda/DailySet1"            # log directory
indexdir "/var/lib/amanda/DailySet1/index"      # index directory

define tapetype QIC-60 {
    comment "Archive Viper"
    length 60 mbytes
    filemark 100 kbytes         # don't know a better value
    speed 100 kbytes            # dito
}

define tapetype DEC-DLT2000 {
    comment "DEC Differential Digital Linear Tape 2000"
    length 15000 mbytes
    filemark 8 kbytes
    speed 1250 kbytes
}

# goluboff AT butch.Colorado DOT EDU
# in amanda-users (Thu Dec 26 01:55:38 MEZ 1996)
define tapetype DLT {
    comment "DLT tape drives"
    length 20000 mbytes         # 20 Gig tapes
    filemark 2000 kbytes        # I don't know what this means
    speed 1536 kbytes           # 1.5 Mb/s
}

define tapetype SURESTORE-1200E {
    comment "HP AutoLoader"
    length 3900 mbytes
    filemark 100 kbytes
    speed 500 kbytes
}

define tapetype EXB-8500 {
    comment "Exabyte EXB-8500 drive on decent machine"
    length 4200 mbytes
    filemark 48 kbytes
    speed 474 kbytes
}

define tapetype EXB-8200 {
    comment "Exabyte EXB-8200 drive on decent machine"
    length 2200 mbytes
    filemark 2130 kbytes
    speed 240 kbytes
}

define tapetype HP-DAT {
    comment "DAT tape drives"
    # data provided by Rob Browning <rlb AT cs.utexas DOT edu>
    length 1930 mbytes
    filemark 111 kbytes
    speed 468 kbytes
}

define tapetype DAT {
    comment "DAT tape drives"
    length 1000 mbytes          # these numbers are not accurate
    filemark 100 kbytes         # but you get the idea
    speed 100 kbytes
}

define tapetype MIMSY-MEGATAPE {
    comment "Megatape (Exabyte based) drive through Emulex on Vax 8600"
    length 2200 mbytes
    filemark 2130 kbytes
    speed 170 kbytes            # limited by the Emulex bus interface, ugh
}

define dumptype global {
    comment "Global definitions"
}

define dumptype always-full {
    global
    comment "Full dump of this filesystem always"
    compress none
    priority high
    dumpcycle 0
}

define dumptype root-tar {
    global
    program "GNUTAR"
    comment "root partitions dumped with tar"
    compress none
    exclude list "/usr/local/lib/amanda/exclude.gtar"
    priority low
}

define dumptype user-tar {
    root-tar
    comment "user partitions dumped with tar"
    priority medium
}

define dumptype high-tar {
    root-tar
    comment "partitions dumped with tar"
    priority high
}

define dumptype comp-root-tar {
    root-tar
    comment "Root partitions with compression"
    compress client fast
}

define dumptype comp-user-tar {
    user-tar
    compress client fast
}

define dumptype holding-disk {
    global
    comment "The master-host holding disk itself"
    holdingdisk no # do not use the holding disk
    priority medium
}

define dumptype comp-user {
    global
    comment "Non-root partitions on reasonably fast machines"
    compress client fast
    priority medium
}

define dumptype nocomp-user {
    comp-user
    comment "Non-root partitions on slow machines"
    compress none
}

define dumptype comp-root {
    global
    comment "Root partitions with compression"
    compress client fast
    priority low
}

define dumptype nocomp-root {
    comp-root
    comment "Root partitions without compression"
    compress none
}

define dumptype comp-high {
    global
    comment "very important partitions on fast machines"
    compress client best
    priority high
}

define dumptype nocomp-high {
    comp-high
    comment "very important partitions on slow machines"
    compress none
}

define dumptype nocomp-test {
    global
    comment "test dump without compression, no /etc/dumpdates recording"
    compress none
    record no
    priority medium
}

define dumptype comp-test {
    nocomp-test
    comment "test dump with compression, no /etc/dumpdates recording"
    compress client fast
}

define interface local {
    comment "a local disk"