Amanda-Users

Re: amrestore error.

2003-08-21 11:41:39
Subject: Re: amrestore error.
From: Eric Siegerman <erics AT telepres DOT com>
To: "'amanda-users AT amanda DOT org'" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 11:39:32 -0400
On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 03:28:24PM +0100, Keith Foster wrote:
> [Solaris restore]
>
> Dump date: Tue Aug 19 18:09:34 2003
> Dumped from: Mon May 19 05:32:04 2003
> Level 1 dump of / on server:/dev/md/dsk/d0
> [...]
> Incremental volume too high
>
> I don't understand where it gets the "Dumped from" date,

Not sure, but I'm guessing it's the date of the next-lower-level
dump that was used as the cutoff for deciding which files to back
up in the current incremental.  In your case, that would be the
most recent preceding level-0 that was done with the "u" option
to ufsdump (i.e. "record yes" in Amanda terms).

> and what is meant
> by "Incremental volume too high".

RTFM.  From ufsrestore(1M) for Solaris 7:
     Incremental tape too high
               When doing incremental restore, a tape  that  does
               not  begin  its coverage where the previous incre-
               mental tape left off, or one that has too high  an
               incremental level has been loaded.

OK, the second condition is ruled out (assuming there's no
mistake and the previous, successful, restore was indeed a
level-0).  That leaves the first condition.  Perhaps the level-0
you restored was from a date other than the "dumped-from" date
shown above.

--

|  | /\
|-_|/  >   Eric Siegerman, Toronto, Ont.        erics AT telepres DOT com
|  |  /
When I came back around from the dark side, there in front of me would
be the landing area where the crew was, and the Earth, all in the view
of my window. I couldn't help but think that there in front of me was
all of humanity, except me.
        - Michael Collins, Apollo 11 Command Module Pilot