Amanda-Users

Re: AMANDA and Irix

2003-08-15 13:31:01
Subject: Re: AMANDA and Irix
From: "Brandon D. Valentine" <brandon AT dvalentine DOT com>
To: Shashi Kanbur <shashi AT fcrao1.astro.umass DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 12:25:16 -0500
On Fri, Aug 15, 2003 at 09:22:37AM -0400, Shashi Kanbur wrote:
> I have two questions which I hope some can help me with:
>
>  My AMANDA server is running on a Debian linux machine and this can
> backup my Debian linux AMANDA clients fine. I have a couple of
> Irix 6.5 clients. The AMANDA client compiles ok.
> If I put in the disklist file the backup to use gnutar,
> amcheck says it cant find the program GNUTAR despite the fact that
> gnu tar is in /sbin, /bin, /usr/bin, /usr/sbin, /usr/local/bin  and so on.

The tar that is in /sbin on IRIX systems[0] is _NOT_ GNUtar.  IRIX tar
is very different from GNUtar and not compatible with Amanda's GNUtar
dumper driver.  If you install the latest GNUtar SGI Freeware package[1]
you will get a version of GNUtar that is compatible with Amanda, but it
will be installed in /usr/freeware/bin.  You will need to configure
Amanda like so:

./configure --with-gnutar=/usr/freeware/bin/tar

[0] and symlinked in /bin and /usr/bin
[1] http://freeware.sgi.com/Installable/tar-1.13.25-sgipl1.html

HTH,

Brandon D. Valentine