Amanda-Users

Re: taper algo change

2003-08-11 12:08:12
Subject: Re: taper algo change
From: Orion Poplawski <orion AT cora.nwra DOT com>
To: Brian Cuttler <brian AT wadsworth DOT org>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 10:06:54 -0600
Brian Cuttler wrote:

Largestfit() isn't some balancing act between the estimate size
and the capacity of the spool/holding area ?

What is the algorithm for starting the dumps anyway ?
ie: what DLEs does it attempt to dump first, is that based
on the taper algorithm ?

As I understand it, largestfit will attempt to write the largest dump that is currently in the holding area that also fits on the tape. However, if there is only a single dump in the holding area, that will get flushed whether it will fit or not. I would like this last behavior to change if there are other dumps still to complete, as one of these might fit.

--
Orion Poplawski
System Administrator                   303-415-9701 x222