Amanda-Users

Re: dump cycle

2003-08-11 10:56:51
Subject: Re: dump cycle
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: "Marcelo Block Teixeira" <cpd AT cadservice.com DOT br>, <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 10:53:58 -0400
On Monday 11 August 2003 07:37, Marcelo Block Teixeira wrote:
>Can I put many entry in the disklist?
>How it is control by amanda?
>How amanda know what entry is the first or next to back up?
>for example:
>If I have one dirs to back up:
>/home (18GB)
>and my tape is 4GB.
>Shall I broken it in individual subdirs?

Yes, into small enough pieces that any one of them might not
be more than half a tape of less.  This gives amanda the
wiggle room it needs to do the scheduleing more efficiently.

Also, when composing yours, do it in 1 day stages, adding
just enough per day to cause that days tape to be pretty
well filled.  Again, this gives amanda a head start on
getting a 'balanced' schedule worked out.

You'll note that I use a compressing dumptype for some,
and a non-comptressing dumptype for others.  This was
originaly defined by compressing everything, then looking
at the email amanda sends you,  those DLE's that report
little of no compression were then switched to a no
compression dumptype.  Basicly, you cannot compress a
.bz2 or .gz file, and it will probably expand if you try.
So directories full of those can be skipped.

>How will be my disklist?

As a sample, because my /usr's are relatively huge,
40 some Gb's, here is my disklist, stripped of the comments:

coyote /amanda          comp-root-tar   1       local
coyote /bin             root-tar        1       local
coyote /boot            root-tar        1       local
coyote /dev             root-tar        1       local
coyote  /dos            comp-root-tar   1       local
coyote  /etc            comp-root-tar   1       local
coyote  /home           comp-root-tar   2       local
coyote  /lib            comp-root-tar   1       local
coyote  /misc/deb1      root-tar        1       local
coyote  /misc/deb2      root-tar        1       local
coyote  /misc/deb3      root-tar        1       local
coyote  /misc/deb4      root-tar        1       local
coyote  /misc/deb5      root-tar        1       local
coyote  /misc/deb6      root-tar        1       local
coyote  /misc/deb7      root-tar        1       local
coyote  /misc/deb8      root-tar        1       local
coyote  /opt            comp-root-tar   2       local
coyote  /rh8.0disks/disk1       root-tar        1       local
coyote  /rh8.0disks/disk2       root-tar        1       local
coyote  /rh8.0disks/disk3       root-tar        1       local
coyote  /root           comp-root-tar   2       local
coyote  /sbin           root-tar        1       local
coyote  /tmp            comp-root-tar   1       local
coyote  /var            comp-root-tar   1       local
coyote  /usr/bin        root-tar        2       local
coyote  /usr/dlds       root-tar        2       local
coyote  /usr/games      root-tar        2       local
gene    /bin            root-tar        3       le0
gene    /boot           root-tar        3       le0
gene    /home           comp-root-tar   3       le0
gene    /root           comp-root-tar   3       le0
gene    /etc            comp-root-tar   3       le0
gene    /usr/src        comp-root-tar   3       le0
gene    /usr/local      comp-root-tar   3       le0
gene    /usr/bin        root-tar        3       le0
gene    /usr/sbin       root-tar        3       le0
coyote  /usr/i386-glibc21-linux root-tar        2       local
coyote  /usr/include    comp-root-tar   2       local
coyote  /usr/kerberos   root-tar        2       local
coyote  /usr/lib        comp-root-tar   2       local
coyote  /usr/libexec    comp-root-tar   2       local
# the amanda directories below will be missed, due to file locks?  Don't know...
coyote  /usr/local      comp-root-tar   2       local
coyote  /usr/man        root-tar        2       local
coyote  /usr/music      root-tar        2       local
coyote  /usr/pix        root-tar        2       local
coyote  /usr/sbin       root-tar        2       local
coyote  /usr/share      comp-root-tar   2       local
coyote  /usr/src        comp-root-tar   2       local
coyote  /usr/X11R6      comp-root-tar   2       local
see your srcdir/example/disklist for field explanations.