Amanda-Users

question re: planner notes vs. actual backup

2003-08-11 08:53:20
Subject: question re: planner notes vs. actual backup
From: Eric Sproul <esproul AT ntelos DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: 11 Aug 2003 08:49:53 -0400
Hi all,
I noticed something in one of the weekend run reports that I'm curious
about.  Nothing went wrong, but I noticed a discrepancy between a note
from planner and what actually happened with a particular DLE.  I guess
I'm just trying to understand the relationship between planner and the
actual run.  I thought if planner made a decision regarding the
incremental level for a DLE, then that's what would happen.

Apparently that's not the case.  The DLE in question is one of my
largest ones, just under 20GB.  It is fairly dynamic, so even level 3 or
4 incrementals can be several hundred MB.  On Saturday, planner noted
that the incremental for this DLE would be bumped to level 4.  However,
checking the detail, I see it got a level 0.

This is not a problem, but I just thought I'd inquire as to the
discrepancy between what planner intended to do and what actually
happened.  Was a decision made on-the-fly after the run started to go
ahead and get a level-0?  I thought planner's word was final.

Thanks,
Eric