Amanda-Users

Re: accessing data from tape on fresh amanda system (disaster recover)

2003-08-10 23:23:24
Subject: Re: accessing data from tape on fresh amanda system (disaster recover)
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 23:18:06 -0400
On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 11:37:13AM +1000, shaun feeley wrote:
> hi guys,
>
> in the process of getting a disaster recovery plan in place.
> additional to our night backups to tape ive set up a fortnightly full
> backup of our system again to tape that will be stored of site.  my
> question is if the system running our amanda config is destroyed.  could
> our externaly stored tapes be access on a fresh amanda system?  sort of
> thinking  if tapelist, and /var/lib/amanda index files are backed up it
> should be possible.
>
> is it possible?  is there a better way?

With the amanda scheme you should be able to recover things even
without and amanda system available.  The programs mt, dd, and
either your dump program or gnutar, plus gzip if appropriate,
should be all that is necessary.  It helps greatly if there is
a TOC of each tape available.  This is why I print a tape label
for each run.  Obviously I can't put that 8.5x11 inch piece of
paper on my dat tapes :), but I can store them away in a folder.

Of course it would be nice to have the amanda interfaces, but
they are not a requirement.

jl
 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)