Amanda-Users

Re: The mailing list and spam

2003-08-10 09:22:25
Subject: Re: The mailing list and spam
From: Niall O Broin <niall AT linux DOT ie>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 14:18:30 +0100
On Sunday 10 August 2003 09:35, Marty Shannon, RHCE wrote:

> No mas!  I must unsubscribe in order to keep my job.  I've
> already been disciplined for receiving "AMANDA" mail that

Wow - what a pisser of a job you must have if you can be disciplined for
something which is out of your control. Do you seriously expect anyone to
believe that you never receive objectionable spam from ANYWHERE except the
Amanda list ?

> includes *PORN*.  I cannot believe that the list manager really
> wants to lose subscribers this way

I'm not the list manager but TBH I'm sure he doesn't care if you (or anyone
else) stays or goes. The list is a very useful technical resource for Amanda
users - use it or not at your discretion.

> but the last "discussion"
> indicated that it was more important to have the list receive
> porn than to make the list useful.

Well, I ignored the discussion which TBH took up more of my time than did the
spam, which Spam Assassin caught for me anyway.

> Do not bother to respond.

No bother at all.

> I do *NOT* need to get fired just because I subscribe to this
> list.

No, you don't, but if that's likely to happen then you seriously need to
consider your employment situation IMHO.

> Diety help the newbies....  (Just for the record, she will
> absolutely not do so -- in my humble opinion.)

No, deities have weightier matters on their minds. Newbies should RTFM and if
they're stuck then, this is the place to come.

> Tugba wrote:
> >                      [Image]   [Image]
> >
> >                      [Image]   [Image]
> >
> >                      [Image]   [Image]
> > if you dont want receive mail please send blank email to
> > madholyvirgin AT madholyvirgin DOT com
>
> You gotta be kidding, right?  This is what the AMANDA list is
> all about, right?

No. Funny that, you being an RHCE and all - you'd think you could understand
what the Amanda mailing list is all about. Unfortunately, being a public
list, it's subject to spam, and the list manager doesn't choose to filter it
which is his prerogative. It's 2003 - spam exists, and until capital
punishment for spammers arrives, it's likely to continue to exist. There are
numerous technical solutions to spam, including the free and excellent Spam
Assassin (written by a fellow member of the Irish Linux Users Group)  as
previously mentioned. Use one of those - it seems it might well save you your
job.

--
Niall

P.S. Or you could stop using email at all - that'll surely stop the spam.