Amanda-Users

Re: new user setting up amanda, advice on tape setup/usage

2003-08-08 08:06:30
Subject: Re: new user setting up amanda, advice on tape setup/usage
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: Sarah Nordstrom <sarahemm AT sarahemm DOT net>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 08:05:14 -0400
On Friday 08 August 2003 02:44, Sarah Nordstrom wrote:
>I'm setting up Amanda here, and would like someone with a bit more
>experience than me to look over this and say if it looks decent.
> I'll have someone (me :) ) onsite 4 days out of every 8 to change
> tapes (i.e. days 1-4 tape changes can happen, days 5-8 tape changes
> will not happen), which is not ideal, but that's how it's going to
> work out. I'm thinking that I can run backups to tape the 4 days
> when changes happen, and let backups build up in the holding disks
> on days when tapes do not get changed?  The plan right now is for
> an 8 tape set, what determines the best dumpcycle to use?  (By the
> way, an autoloader is out of the question for now.. eventually,
> this will likely be the best solution though.. someone needs to
> invent an autoloader that'll fit in a 1U box ;) )
>Any comments appreciated :)
> -- Sarah

First, I don't see anything attached for us to look over, and my magic
twanger is on the fritz.

Second, is the tape big enough to be able to hold 5/8ths of the total.

The second is because you should set the autoflush option and let it
flush that which is sitting in the holding disk on day one which
would consist of the backups for days 5-8 in addition to the regular
day 1 backup.

And third, if the dumpcycle is going to be 8 days, then you need at
least 16 tapes because you don't want to ever get into the situation
where you are over-writing your only backup of that DLE with a new
one that fails.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M
by Gene Heskett are: