Amanda-Users

Re: how to get columns to line up in summary?

2003-08-05 20:11:52
Subject: Re: how to get columns to line up in summary?
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: Russell Adams <RLAdams AT Kelsey-Seybold DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 20:02:59 -0400
On Tuesday 05 August 2003 16:25, Russell Adams wrote:
>> Also, get rid of 'localhost'!  Amanda is a client/server program
>> and will only work right (although no effect on this formatting
>> problem) for all functions if the FQDN of the machine is used.  We
>> should fix a filter to add this to the sig of every message posted
>> thru the list.  If you cannot recover, you have been warned.
>
>I've heard this before. What exactly is the problem with localhost?
>Could you elaborate?
>
>Russell

Primarily its a security issue because *any* machine can be localhost.
By using the FQDN, there is then no ambiguity as to which machine is
being addressed.  Its simply good practice.

amrecover and amrestore IIRC are trained to reject localhost because
the files are portable, and trying to restore to localhost might even
try to restore a wintel boxes code to a box with a moto cpu in it.
Thats a bit far fetched, but that is one scenario that won't, for
obvious reasons, work.

Finally, amanda is a client/server model.  By using localhost, you are
attempting to bypass that client/server relationship.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M
by Gene Heskett are: