Amanda-Users

Re: Setting up chg-scsi

2003-07-29 20:12:21
Subject: Re: Setting up chg-scsi
From: "Joshua D. Bello" <josh AT nextrials DOT com>
To: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 17:05:35 -0700
On Mon, Jul 28, 2003 at 08:57:24PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> The *real* tapedev(ice) is specified in chg-scsi.conf, here in
> amanda.conf, the proper useage is a number from 0 to whatever, that
> represents the index number of the configurations present in
> chg-scsi.conf.  It can contain more than one set of specs, and you
> must specify here, which it is to use from the (possible) choices in
> chg-scsi.conf.
> As I only have one config spelled out in chg-scsi.conf, it is tapedev
> "0" in my amanda.conf.

Thank you very much for the assistance.  I went ahead and modified my
amanda.conf as per your suggestions.

> chg-scsi.conf should start out resembling this:

<snip>

Thanks again, I also modified my scsi-conf file to more closely model
yours.  I no longer experience amanda commands / scsi-conf bombing out
on errors, on the contrary, it will now hang when I run typical amanda
commands.  For example:

ambackup@anubis:/usr/local/etc/amanda/daily$ amcheck daily
Amanda Tape Server Host Check
-----------------------------
Holding disk /ambackup/daily: 109239520 KB disk space available, that's
plenty

Then wait, wait, wait, nada.  Process is still running, although idle.

The debug logfile yields:

amcheck: debug 1 pid 83814 ruid 10080 euid 0 start time Tue Jul 29
16:40:52 2003
amcheck: dgram_bind: socket bound to 0.0.0.0.874
changer: got exit: 0 str: 5 15 1 0
changer_query: changer return was 15 1 0
changer_query: searchable = 0
changer_find: looking for NULL changer is searchable = 0

Attached are the updated config files.  Thanks again in advance, my
excitement at switching from an old manually changed DLT7000 to this new
SDLT changer is starting to fade to frustration...

--
Joshua D. Bello <josh AT nextrials DOT com>
Systems Administrator