Amanda-Users

Re: strange "disk offline" error

2003-07-24 10:34:19
Subject: Re: strange "disk offline" error
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Kurt Yoder <kylist AT shcorp DOT com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 10:32:25 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 at 10:26am, Kurt Yoder wrote

> > tar is nice for being so cross platform.  If you can get that to go,
> > it
> > might be your better option.
>
> OK, I got gnu tar 1.13 compiled and working. However, I still get
> the "disk offline" error. Now in /tmp/amanda/sendsize... I see this
> which doesn't look good either:

tar 1.13 is Bad.  Grab 1.13.25 from alpha.gnu.org.

> sendsize[15492]: time 0.028: error [cannot find user backup in
> passwd file]
> sendsize[15492]: time 0.059:
> sendsize[15492]: time 0.060: .....
> sendsize[15492]: estimate time for / level 0: 0.044
> sendsize[15492]: no size line match in /usr/local/bin/tar output for
> "/"

> Again I see "cannot find user backup in passwd file". In looking at
> /etc, I noticed the passwd file is actually a symlink to a passwd
> file in another directory (For anyone who has SCO, why in GOD'S NAME
> do they do this symlink BS for everything? It is horrible!). Is this
> the only problem that's stopping me here, or is there anything else
> that needs fixing?

I'm guessing that if you fix access to /etc/passwd, you'll be a lot closer
to making this work.  What are the owner and permissions on what
/etc/passwd points to (and yes, that is brain dead)?

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering