Amanda-Users

Re: xinetd shutting off amanda

2003-07-14 14:18:58
Subject: Re: xinetd shutting off amanda
From: Chris Dahn <chris.dahn AT computer DOT org>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 14:16:57 -0400
On Monday 14 July 2003 01:52 pm, Russell Adams wrote:
> I commend you for using Gentoo in a server, glad I'm not the only
> one. ;] I've got, er, 3 Gentoo boxes as servers already. Excellent
> distro, but change control is a major issue. No updates on anything
> unless required.

  Yeah, I was tired of the RPM nonsense. I wrote a script that rebuilds all
updates every weekend and emails the results. It's worked very nicely thus
far.

> At this point, I'm very uncertain what could have changed to make
> xinetd fuss. Let us know what fixes it.

  Okay, I seem to have pin-pointed it. I fixed the lines "only_from=hostname"
in the xinetd config file for Amanda. What I think probably happened is that
my server resolves to more than one name (recent change in departments here
at the University), and xinetd was getting the one I hadn't specified. So, I
changed the line to the IP address of the host, instead of its hostname, and
it's much happier now.

|Christopher Dahn          | Software Engineering Research Group,|
|3141 Chestnut St.         |   Feel the SERG!                    |
|Attn: CS Dept., CAT 186   | http://serg.cs.drexel.edu/          |
|Office (PA): 215.895.0203 | "PGP" public key:            |
|Fax: 215.895.0545         | http://search.keyserver.net/ |