Amanda-Users

Re: Strange errors with Amanda

2003-07-12 15:03:41
Subject: Re: Strange errors with Amanda
From: Jay Lessert <jayl AT accelerant DOT net>
To: "Jonathan B. Bayer" <jbayer AT bayerfamily DOT net>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 11:59:26 -0700
On Sat, Jul 12, 2003 at 10:36:00AM -0400, Jonathan B. Bayer wrote:
> My problem comes when I try to backup other systems.  amcheck reports no
> errors, but when I do the backup I get the message listed below.
>
> Before I post the entire configuration, I'm wondering if this is simply
> a timeout problem.  Right now I have the timeout set to:
>
>           etimeout 3000

I don't think you're running into real estimate timeouts (certainly not
at 3000*#DLE!).

Drop the disklist back to one small entry per client.  /usr, maybe.
That'll totally eliminate any capacity/delay/interaction problems.

Then clear /tmp/amanda on the server and clients and do a run.
Assuming it fails more-or-less the same way, crawl through the
debug files in /tmp/amanda on the server and one of the clients,
as well as the amdump.x and log.date files on the server.  I
think *somewhere* in there is a useful error message.

Since your server treats itself just like any other client, you
have "known-good" output to compare against.

Even though you're passing amcheck, there are parts of the amanda
network activity that don't get exercised until amdump runs.  It smells
like a Linux iptables problem, but I'm a Solaris guy and know just
about zip on that subject.

--
Jay Lessert                               jay_lessert AT accelerant DOT net
Accelerant Networks Inc.                       (voice)1.503.439.3461