Amanda-Users

Re: indexing

2003-07-11 15:47:26
Subject: Re: indexing
From: Eric Sproul <esproul AT ntelos DOT net>
To: Sterpu Victor <victor AT ambra DOT ro>
Date: 11 Jul 2003 15:45:12 -0400
On Fri, 2003-07-11 at 04:48, Sterpu Victor wrote:
> I have installed amanda, but the index does not work.
> I have the services amandaidx and amidxtape runing on the server.
> The backup is succesfull, but when I do a
> /dev/nst0, amrecover says:
> Amrecover Version 2.4.4 Contacting server on 192.168.250.99 ...
> amrecover: Unexpected end of file, check amindexd*debug on server
> 192.168.250.99.

Victor,
Check the dumptype you are specifying.  Not all dumptypes do indexing.
GNU tar always indexes, but if you're using dump, you have to explicitly
tell it to index.

I index all my backups, so I set a global config option for it:

define dumptype global {
        index yes
        record yes
}

Then in all the dumptypes that I want to use, I put "global" as the
first line, such as:

define dumptype comp-user {
    global
    comment "Non-root partitions on reasonably fast machines"
    options compress-fast
    priority medium
}

That way, the options from "global" are added to the options being set
in the current dumptype.

Once you specify indexed dumptypes, the index files will be created at
the next amdump run.

HTH,
Eric