Amanda-Users

tapeless backup...should i have symbolic links to data?

2003-07-11 12:37:41
Subject: tapeless backup...should i have symbolic links to data?
From: "Drew Mogan" <drew AT themogans DOT com>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 09:49:55 -0700
Hello,

I am wondering whether or not I should be using symbolic links for
"data" in my tapeless setup.
I am currently able to run "amdump" but not able to successfully run
"amrecover"?

Within my amanda.conf
tapedev file:/backups

Directory Structure
/backups/01
/backups/20

When I go to run amdump I just point "data" to the next tape in line.
$ln -s 06 data
$amdump DailySet1

I have recently seen some docs where the data directory is actually
created within the tape.
/backups/01/data

Which of these methods are best for a tapeless backup setup?
How does this affect how I do "amrecover"?

I am currently having trouble with "amrecover" and am not sure what I
should be using for "settape".

I have tried using the following:
ln -s data 02
(then within amrecover)
settatape host:file:/backups/02
or
settatape host:file:/backups

I have not had luck either way.  I receive this error.
~~~~
Extracting files using tape drive file:/backups/02 on host
srv1.testing.com.
Load tape DailySet102 now
Continue [?/Y/n/t]? y
amrecover: error reading tape: Connection reset by peer
extract_list - child returned non-zero status: 1
~~~~~

Thanks so much for your help.
drew