Amanda-Users

Re: Restoring to a different location

2003-07-09 13:31:26
Subject: Re: Restoring to a different location
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Dave Sherohman <dsherohman AT westling DOT com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 13:20:00 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 at 11:59am, Dave Sherohman wrote

> I recently returned from a vacation to discover that a database app had
> decided to do strange things about a week and a half ago.  There was
> no damage to the data (just a bunch of spurious reports printed), but
> the app's vendor would like to see what the database looked like before
> this happened.  There is no concern that the active database may have
> been damaged.
>
> Now, I know how to use amrecover to restore the files to their original
> location, but overwriting the active database would be Very Bad, so how
> do I restore them to a different location?  (I doubt that it matters,
> but, just in case, the database directory is on a Windows machine which
> is backed up by a Linux client via samba.)

Just be somewhere else (in the fs, that is) when you fire up amrecover.
amrecover restores to the $CWD.

Alternatively, just amrestore the image off the tape and manually 'tar x'
what you need.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering