Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda stop working after amflush

2003-07-04 15:17:30
Subject: Re: Amanda stop working after amflush
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2003 15:04:47 -0400
On Fri, Jul 04, 2003 at 10:19:31AM +0100, Angie Yee wrote:
> Hello there,
>
>  I have a problem with the amanda backup.
>
> Amanda is totally stop working after I amflush all the logfiles in
> /usr/am_dump.

?Logfiles?  I presume you mean dump files.
Why did you have to amflush them?
Did you get a good report from amflush?

> When I execute amcleanup, the messages shown as below:
> amcleanup: no unprocessed logfile to clean up.
> Scanning /usr/am_dump...

Why did you have to do an amcleanup?

> When I execute amcheck, here is the message:
> Amanda Tape Server Host Check
> -----------------------------
> Holding disk /usr/am_dump: 6291244 KB disk space available, that's plenty
> NOTE: skipping tape-writable test
> Tape fs3_3 label ok <----***I have put this tape on Wednesday and this is
> still OK on Friday!!!***

Yes, but have any amdumps run since then?
What did your amdump reports say?

> Server check took 3.831 seconds
>
> Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
> --------------------------------
> Client check: 1 host checked in 0.033 seconds, 0 problems found
>
> When I execute amrecover, here is the message:
> AMRECOVER Version 2.4.2p2. Contacting server on fs3 ...
> 220 fs3 AMANDA index server (2.4.2p2) ready.
> 200 Access OK
> Setting restore date to today (2003-07-04)
> 200 Working date set to 2003-07-04.
> 200 Config set to FS3.
> 200 Dump host set to fs3.
> Can't determine disk and mount point from $CWD
>
> Then I setdisk to /vol0, the error message is:
> Scanning /usr/am_dump...
> 200 Disk set to /vol0.
> No index records for disk for specified date
> If date correct, notify system administrator

Maybe there were no amdumps between Tuesday 7/1
and 7/4.  Thus there were no index records for 7/4.
What if you set the date to earlier?

> Please find an attachment of amanda.conf file.  Would you please advise
> where is it gone wrong?

I'd rather see the reports.  But looking at your first few lines
of amanda.conf I suspect you are not getting any.

> org "abc"                # your organization name for reports

Is that the name of your organization?

> mailto "xyz AT abc DOT com"    # space separated list of operators at your
> site

Is that your email address?
You can't get the reports mailed to you if it is not.

> dumpuser "root"                 # the user to run dumps under

Do you really run your dumps as root?  Most don't.

> dumpcycle 2 weeks
> runspercycle 10
> tapecycle 10 tapes

DANGER! DANGER! DANGER!  tapecycle equals runspercycle

> runtapes 1              # number of tapes to be used in a single run of amdump
> tapedev "/dev/nst0"     # the no-rewind tape device to be used
> rawtapedev "/dev/null"  # the raw device to be used (ftape only)
>
> tapetype DLT            # what kind of tape it is (see tapetypes below)
> labelstr "^fs3_[0-9]"   # label constraint regex: all tapes must match

this won't allow for tapes numbered with more than one digit.

> holdingdisk sda5 {
>     comment "main holding disk"
>     directory "/usr/am_dump"    # where the holding disk is
>     use 3 Gb            # how much space can we use on it
>     chunksize 1Gb       # size of chunk if you want big dump to be
>     }
>
> # reserve 30 # percent

You are not using your holding disk unless you set a reserve value.
The default is to reserve all of the holding disk for degraded mode.

> infofile "/usr/am_log/FS3/curinfo"      # database DIRECTORY
> logdir   "/usr/am_log/FS3"              # log directory
> indexdir "/usr/am_log/FS3/index"        # index directory

Just to be sure, /usr/am_log/FS3/ is where your amanda.conf file is?

> define tapetype DLT {
>     comment "DLT tape drives"
>     length 35025 mbytes         # 80 Gig tapes
>     filemark 2528 kbytes        # I don't know what this means
>     speed 2534 kbytes           # 1.5 Mb/s
> }
>

> # dumptypes

which are you using?

> define dumptype global {
>     comment "Global definitions"
>      index yes
> }
>
> define dumptype always-full {
>     global
>     comment "Full dump of this filesystem always"
>     compress none
>     priority high
>     index yes
>     dumpcycle 0
> }
>
> define dumptype root-tar {
>     global
>     program "GNUTAR"
>     comment "root partitions dumped with tar"
>     compress none
>     index yes
>     exclude list "/usr/local/lib/amanda/exclude.gtar"
>     priority low
> }
>
> define dumptype user-tar {
> define dumptype user-tar {

This doesn't look right.  Is it in your amanda.conf like that?

> [...]
>     comment "partitions dumped with tar"
>     index yes
>     priority high
> }
>
> define dumptype comp-root-tar {
>     root-tar
>     comment "Root partitions with compression"
>     compress client fast
>     index yes
> }
>
> define dumptype comp-user-tar {
>     user-tar
>     compress client fast
>     index yes
> }
>
> define dumptype holding-disk {
>     global
>     comment "The master-host holding disk itself"
>     holdingdisk no # do not use the holding disk
>     index yes
>     priority medium
> }
>
> define dumptype comp-user {
>     global
>     comment "Non-root partitions on reasonably fast machines"
>     compress client fast
>     compress client fast
>     index yes
>     priority medium
> }
>
> define dumptype nocomp-user {
>     comp-user
>     comment "Non-root partitions on slow machines"
>     index yes
>     program "GNUTAR"
>     compress client fast
> }
>
> define dumptype comp-root {
>     global
>     comment "Root partitions with compression"
>     compress client fast
>     index yes
>     priority low
> }
>
> define dumptype nocomp-root {
>     comp-root
>     comment "Root partitions without compression"
>     index yes
>     compress none
> }
>
> define dumptype comp-high {
>     global
>     comment "very important partitions on fast machines"
>     compress client best
>     index yes
>     priority high
> }
>
> define dumptype nocomp-high {
>     comp-high
>     comment "very important partitions on slow machines"
>     comment "very important partitions on slow machines"
>     index yes
>     compress none
> }
>
> define dumptype nocomp-test {
>     global
>     comment "test dump without compression, no /etc/dumpdates recording"
>     compress none
>     record no
>     index yes
>     priority medium
> }
>
> define dumptype comp-test {
>     nocomp-test
>     comment "test dump with compression, no /etc/dumpdates recording"

Again, this doesn't look syntactically correct.
Is it in your amanda.conf?

>     nocomp-test
>     comment "test dump with compression, no /etc/dumpdates recording"
>     index yes
>     compress client fast
> }
>

> define interface local {
>     comment "a local disk"

Duplicates what was started above.

>     use 1000 kbps
> }
>
> define interface le0 {
>     comment "10 Mbps ethernet"
>     use 400 kbps
> }

What do your amdump reports show?

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)