Amanda-Users

Re: spanning tapes

2003-07-02 07:57:29
Subject: Re: spanning tapes
From: Martin Hepworth <martinh AT solid-state-logic DOT com>
To: "Amanda Users (E-mail)" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 12:50:07 +0100
Andre de Koning wrote:

I'm current looking into Amanda and planning on using it with a Compaq 8 tape 20/40 DAt autoloader. From what I can see Amanda does not support spanning a backup onto multiple tapes. What do I do to make a backup that uses all 8 tapes? I suppose I could split it into 8 seperate backups - how would I go about this? Also: I anybody has any experience with one of these autoloaders any help would be highly appreciated.

André de Koning
IT Manager
Softline VIP Payroll
Tel: +27 12 420 7000
andre AT vippayroll.co DOT za

Andre

amanda won't span a single backup extent across tapes, but will span complete daily backups over tapes.

ie if you backup /usr/local and it's bigger than a single tape it won't span. but if your config has multiple disk's mentioned it will span the whole archive over many tapes.

you can get around this by using gnutar as the underlying backup medium and splitting the individual partitions up so they will fit onto a tape.,

--
Martin Hepworth
Senior Systems Administrator

the system manager.