Amanda-Users

Re: Sg driver and tape changer.

2003-07-02 09:50:13
Subject: Re: Sg driver and tape changer.
From: Russell Adams <RLAdams AT Kelsey-Seybold DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 08:47:27 -0500
> >This sounds suspiciously like either bad hardware or a bad SCSI
> > chain. Are you sure everything is terminated properly?  How's your
> > cable length? Does it work on another machine or with a different
> > SCSI card?  What color was the goat?

The tape drive was recently replaced, but I'd hate to replace it again...

> That driver has been undergoing some work from what I see in the
> kernels ChangeLog (I don't use it myself, my card is an advansys,
> bulletproof) and if he has the aic7xxx.old driver available, maybe he
> should give that one a try.  My kernel is 2.4.21, and I don't recall
> if both drivers are still available or not.  That would be my next
> suggestion, that he move on up to a newer kernel, thereby getting the
> latest code.

Actually, I've narrowed it down to just having to rm/insmod the sg
driver only, between every call. :P

> And since this is scsi we're talking about here, the goat must be pure
> white and a virgin.  Not to mention that in a scsi setup, the last
> device on the cable must be on the last plug on the cable.  A few
> inches of open cable past the device will make nearly all bets
> instant losers.  Then of course it doesn't matter what color the goat
> was, the spell is broken... :)

Damn. I've got a funky polkadotted goat, and I don't think its a
virgin. Must I really obtain a new one?

SCSI setup is very basic. One aic7000 card, one tape drive with
termination. ;]

Russell