Amanda-Users

RE: amrecover problem

2003-05-28 11:37:49
Subject: RE: amrecover problem
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: Rebecca Pakish Crum <rebecca AT unterlaw DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 10:35:56 -0500
--On Tuesday, May 27, 2003 10:47:11 -0500 Rebecca Pakish Crum <rebecca AT unterlaw
DOT com> wrote:

Hello,

I setup Amanda for the first time and there is problem with
amrecover. Only some
of the directories and files dumped to the tape are listed in
amrecover. The
index files looks strange:

07664670563/./
07664670563/./.ICAClient/
07664670563/./.acrobat/
07664670563/./.b3tools/
07664670563/./.dt/
07664670563/./.dt/Desktop/
07664670563/./.dt/Trash/
07664670563/./.dt/appmanager/
07664670563/./.dt/help/
.
.
.

Entries in the index file without these numbers can be listed
in amrecover.

The first dump of this user disk was a level 0 dump with
GNUTAR and the capacity
of the tape was sufficient, so everthing is dumped to the
tape, but I cannot
restore it.

HINT: you are using a bad version of tar. If you believe you have a good
version...be sure that you configured amanda
with-gnutar=/your/path/to/non-sucky/tar. As an extra hint, you can tell
by looking at the config.cache file and see what your ac_cv_path_GNUTAR
entry is.

If you are desperate to amrecover something from this dump, let me
know...I may still have my notes on how to clean up this index mess and
still recover from it. I have done it before thanks to help from John
Jackson.

If you do still have the notes, please post them to the list so they can
be archived.  I'm sure others will run into the same problem someday (I
know I did when I started with Amanda, fortunately I never had to restore
from them before I got all the tars upgraded), and it would be helpful
to have some notes on how to recover with bad index files.

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                             fsmith AT hoovers DOT
com