Amanda-Users

Re: Single file backup using SAMBA

2003-05-28 11:18:29
Subject: Re: Single file backup using SAMBA
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 11:16:48 -0400
On Wed, May 28, 2003 at 04:25:40PM +0200, Francisco de As?s Miralles Argente
wrote:

> Sorry, I try to do the backup with SAMBA, and when I use the "include"
> option i get this message: [samba does not support include file], and I
> don't want to use the exclude option because there are a lot of files in
> this directory.

That's true, because smbtar/smbclient is not exactly gnutar.
But that's what samba backup use.

How about rsync'ing the file to a unix/linux host and then doing
a backup on that host using include as suggested.

> Francisco de As�s Miralles Argente wrote:
>

> >     I tried to backup only one file that is in a directory with other
> > files in a windows client, but I don't get any way to do it.
> >

> The obvious DLE way does not work:
>
>     your.host    /path/to/the/file    comp-user-tar
>
> because dump and tar need a directory path; gnutar is given
> the command "gnutar ... --directory /path/to/the/file ..."
> so it needs a directory (or a symlink to a directory).
>
> I never tried it, but recently you can also specify include lists when
> using gnutar.  Maybe something like this works:
>
>    your.host  file-bup /path/to/parent/dir {
>         comp-user-tar
>         include "./file"
>         } 1
>

> (Not tried myself, but curious if it works...)
>

>>> End of included message <<<

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)