Amanda-Users

Re: encryption

2003-05-28 06:54:25
Subject: Re: encryption
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 06:52:46 -0400
On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 09:10:13PM -0500, Martin, Jeremy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I noticed amanda supports Kerberos authentication but I was asked to find out
> if it possibly supports "PKI" (public key infrastructure) instead of
> Kerberos, or if there is any way to make it use OpenSSL/SSH for the transfer
> protocol instead of the "proprietary" amanda protocol normally used? Or is
> there any easy way to make Amanda encrypt the tar files (I'm using GNUTAR
> instead of dump) before sending it over the network?

Several people have reported using gpg as the encryption technique.
The replace gnutar with a shell script that does encryption during
the backup passes, but not during the estimate phases (output == /dev/null).

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)