Amanda-Users

Re: chg-zd-mtx error - permission denied

2003-05-23 16:07:58
Subject: Re: chg-zd-mtx error - permission denied
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 14:41:50 -0400
On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 06:46:54PM +0100, Nigel Barker wrote:
> Hi
>
> Apologies, this is stupid, but I can't work how to fix it, and I'm getting
> desperate.
>
> The log file, in /tmp/amanda, contains a line :-
>
> cannot open SCSI device '/dev/scsi/changer/c1t6d0' - Permission denied
>
> How do I grant permission for the backup user to use this device?
>
> I KNOW I've seen it somewhere in some docs, but can I find it...

That is probably a symbolic link to something in the /device tree.
Do an ls -l to determine to what it points.

Do an ls -lL (both lower and capital 'ell') to determine what the
ownership and permissions of the actual device are.  (Or an ls -l
of the actual device.)

My tape devices (and changers) are rw for all.  Probably not best
for security, I don't know what they are by default.  But they
have to be rw for the amanda-user or the amanda-group.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)