Amanda-Users

Re: R: Access restriction in amrecover

2003-05-23 16:04:54
Subject: Re: R: Access restriction in amrecover
From: Jean-Louis Martineau <martinea AT IRO.UMontreal DOT CA>
To: Creator <creator AT mindcreations DOT com>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 14:21:06 -0400
On Thu, Apr 24, 2003 at 08:59:38AM +0200, Creator wrote:
> I think it may be achieved using server-side authentication so no matter
> which user you are running amrecover from the client.
>
> Without proper authentication I'm forced to close the firewall port 80012 to
> deny access to the index daemon. It is the only way I have to limit
> customers from restoring other people backups.
>
> In this case I'm forced to do the restores for them wasting my time.
> 1) I have to extract their data somewhere
> 2) I have to give them access to it to let them browse their files
> Result: no handy selective restore procedure :(
>
> In the way I've proposed (like: customer can access only his data) I can
> simply mount the tape on the tapechanger and let the customer do their
> restore comfortably using amrecover.
>
> I'm going to have a bad shape if I cannot work around this limit.

It could be done easily, add a dumptype entry 'restore_host' which list
the hostname (or ip) that can restore the DLE. The amindexd an amidxtaped
daemon will have to check the connecting host with the host listed
in restore_host for this DLE.

Jean-Louis
--
Jean-Louis Martineau             email: martineau AT IRO.UMontreal DOT CA
Departement IRO, Universite de Montreal