Amanda-Users

Re: Dell PV 100T/Archive Python 06408-XXX tapetypes

2003-05-23 10:38:30
Subject: Re: Dell PV 100T/Archive Python 06408-XXX tapetypes
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 10:35:44 -0400
On Fri, May 23, 2003 at 10:02:49PM +0800, Mathias Körber wrote:
> The first tapetype below I measured today (with a 150m tape)on a new
> DELL PowerVault 100T DDS4 tapedrive (Archive Python 06408-XXX)
> with hardware compression turned off (dip switch 1->OFF).
> Maybe it will come in handy for someone else..
> Note I lowered the capacity to have some buffer. Edit at your
> own preference..
>
> define tapetype PV-100T-DDS4-150M {
>     comment "produced by tapetype on adelphi , no hw compression"
>     # measured: length 19457 mbytes
>     # leave some for tolerances...
>     length 19000 mbytes
>     filemark 32 kbytes
>     speed 2686 kps
> }
>
> This one I found somewhere on the net:
> I would be interested in possible reasons for the
> 3GB difference in capacity (and the marked diff in
> filemark sizes!).
> The speed may be due to SCSI configuration
> (other controller, more devices on the same bus etc)
>
> define tapetype PV-100T-DDS4 {
>         comment " Dell PowerVault 100T DDS4, from
> http://amanda.sourceforge.net/fom-serve/cache/188.html";
>         length 16534 mbytes
>         filemark 0 kbytes
>         speed 2278 kps
> }

As Joshua already noted, certainly this was done with HW compression.
A 15% lowerer than expected value is always the red flag.

As to the filemark difference, that means between the two passes made
during your run there was a difference in total capacity of 3.2MB.
The second pass wrote about 100 extra files (and file marks) so 3.2MB/100
is your 32K mark.  3.2MB out of 19457MB.  Maybe the temperature raised
a bit and the tape streched 1mm :)

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)