Amanda-Users

controlling hardware compression?

2003-05-23 10:28:56
Subject: controlling hardware compression?
From: Mathias Körber <mathias AT koerber DOT org>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 22:26:22 +0800
Hi all,
[I asked this on UseNet (comp.os.linux.hardware etc), but hope someone here
may have some insights too..]

I just got a Dell PowerVault 100T DDS4 tapedrive and would like to ensure
that when bcking up with AMANDA (www.amanda.org) the hardware compression
is OFF.

Obviously I can turn it off on the drive itself (DIP-switch 1) but that
should also be doable using a SCSI command (thus leaving h/w comp
available for non-amanda usage if required)

Question is: How do I do that? Is there a special tape device (/dev/nrmtu0
or such for *u*ncompressed access and the driver will take card of that),
or does AMANDA know how to send SCSI commands to its device [ I could not
find anything though on first look].

I am running a 2.4.18 kernel.

Any help is appreciated.

thanks