Amanda-Users

Re: Q: tape troubles

2003-05-23 06:03:09
Subject: Re: Q: tape troubles
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: Raúl Wild-Spain <rcruz AT wild-spain DOT com>, <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 06:00:06 -0400
On Friday 23 May 2003 05:06, Raúl Wild-Spain wrote:
>Hi!, I've some problems with various tapes and my amanda.
>
>1 - In my last amcheck I can see the following:
>
>Amanda Tape Server Host Check
>-----------------------------
>ERROR: /dev/nst0: reading label: Input/output error
>       (expecting tape FURV-POLICY05 or a new tape)
>NOTE: skipping tape-writable test
>Server check took 0.051 seconds
>
>Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
>--------------------------------
>Client check: 2 hosts checked in 0.129 seconds, 0 problems found
>
>(brought to you by Amanda 2.4.2p2)
>
>The first problem is that the tape inserted in nst0 is the
> FURV-POLICY05. The last backup to this tape was right ( bcause
> amreport was right ). When I try to amcheck or amverify
> FURV-POLICY05 the result is always the message above.
>
>2 - My last backup with FURV-POLICY04 said:
>
>FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
>  xaloc      /dev/sdc2 lev 0 FAILED [out of tape]
>  xaloc      /dev/sdc2 lev 0 FAILED ["data write: Connection reset
> by peer"] xaloc      /dev/sdc2 lev 0 FAILED [dump to tape failed]
>
>FAILED AND STRANGE DUMP DETAILS:
>
>/-- xaloc      /dev/sdc2 lev 0 FAILED ["data write: Connection
> reset by peer"]
>
>... Do you think there was any intranet-problem? Is the reason
> probably another?
>
>I've been looking for into logs and I've encountered the
> following:
>
>May 22 03:21:09 xaloc kernel: st0: Error with sense data: Current
> st09:00: sense key Medium Error May 22 03:21:09 xaloc kernel:
> Additional sense indicates Excessive write errors May 22 03:21:09
> xaloc kernel: st0: Error with sense data: Current st09:00: sense
> key Medium Error May 22 03:21:09 xaloc kernel: Additional sense
> indicates Excessive write errors May 22 03:21:09 xaloc kernel:
> st0: Error on write filemark. May 22 03:21:09 xaloc kernel: st0:
> Error with sense data: Current st09:00: sense key Medium Error
> May 22 03:21:09 xaloc kernel: Additional sense indicates
> Excessive write errors May 22 03:21:09 xaloc kernel: st0: Error
> with sense data: Current st09:00: sense key Medium Error May 22
> 03:21:09 xaloc kernel: Additional sense indicates Excessive write
> errors May 22 03:21:09 xaloc sendbackup[14906]: index tee cannot
> write [Broken pipe] May 22 03:21:09 xaloc kernel: st0: Error with
> sense data: Current st09:00: sense key Medium Error May 22
> 03:21:09 xaloc kernel: Additional sense indicates Excessive write
> errors May 22 03:21:09 xaloc kernel: st0: Error with sense data:
> Current st09:00: sense key Medium Error May 22 03:21:09 xaloc
> kernel: Additional sense indicates Excessive write errors May 22
> 03:21:09 xaloc kernel: st0: Error on write filemark.
>
>It corresponds (surely) with the FURV-POLICY04 backup. When I try
> to amverify FURV-POLICY04 contents the result is:
>
>No tape changer...
>Tape device is /dev/nst0...
>Verify summary to rcruz AT stq.urv DOT es cllorach AT stq.urv DOT es
> apoto AT stq.urv DOT es Defects file is
> [...]

Unless somebody else can make more sense out of the error log
my linewrap destroyed, my best guess is that there was
something contaminating the surface of the tape FURVPOLICY 04,
and that the heads are now in need of a good, possibly even chemical
as in alcohol & qtips, cleaning.  But don't put a q-tip anywhere
near a rotating head, you'll never get the cotton lint back off of
pole pieces.  For that, there is a stick with a piece of chamois
skin, like is used to clean vcr heads, but be very very VERY
gentle, holding it aganst the head and rotating the head so the
tips pass across the chamois which is wet with alcohol.

But I'd start with a pass or 2 of the cleaning tape first, you might
get lucky.

If that doesn't restore function, theres a good possibility the
drive is kaput.  You didn't mention what kind of a drive and tape
was being used, and that info, along with the machine architecture
and operationg system are always helpfull.

How many passes are on the 04 tape?  And obviously once cleaned if
it will clean, then I'd see if the verify on 04 still dies at the
same place, and if it does, toss that tape and clean the heads
again.

A relabel on the 05 tape might be required if it tried to write
a new label to update the date and failed.  But I don't think it did
since it couldn't even find it.  And we'll hope the leader on the
05 tape isn't contaminated by following the 04 tape in the drive.

If you've time to read a story about a dirty tape, this ones bad...

I once had a videotape die on the air (I'm a tv engineer) while
playing the flintstones, totally clogging up the head in an RCA 2"
machine.  After giving up and running psa's while troubleshooting
it, I tried the usual freon TF, didn't work, then alcohol which
also failed, finally water did the job.  Putting the tape back in
and running it 22 minutes into the program it clogged up again.
Stopping the tape and backing it up I found a nickle sized spot of
something that tasted like coke or RC, dried onto the tape, and now
somewhat burnt since the head in a 2" quad machine spins at 14,400
rpm.  I'm amazed the impact of hitting that stuff which was 2 or 3
thousanths thick, didn't break the tips on a $1500 ferrite head.
As the tape wasn't ours, and breaking the 'bicycle' of the
distribution would cost us $250 we didn't have, I spent about half
an hour with a glass of water and a few dozen q-tips cleaning up
the tape, and blow drying it.  And I sent a nastygram as only I can
do to the last stop on the bicycle tour that tape had been to.
Some half asleep git had spilled his soft drink on it while it was
running, probably with control room horseplay involved.  So that
drop of coke spooled itself into the tapeup, flattening out as the
next layer of tape covered it up, and slowly dried.  Then it was
rewound and shipped to us, making 3 places on the tape I actually
had to clean to get it all.

Tv's "war" stories... :)

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M