Amanda-Users

Re: problem with runtar (ERROR: localhost: [can not execute /usr/loca l/libexec/runtar: Permission denied])

2003-05-23 05:06:20
Subject: Re: problem with runtar (ERROR: localhost: [can not execute /usr/loca l/libexec/runtar: Permission denied])
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: Hector Doblado <hdoblado AT ajmataro DOT es>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 05:03:51 -0400
On Friday 23 May 2003 03:55, Hector Doblado wrote:
>Hello
>
>I've a small new problem when I execute amcheck DailySet1 with
> amanda user ERROR: localhost: [can not execute
> /usr/local/libexec/runtar: Permission denied]
>
>I download amanda-2.4.4.tar.gz
>
>I've do
>

>#gzip -d amanda-2.4.4.tar.gz
>#tar xvf amanda-2.4.4.tar
>#cd amanda-2.4.4
>#./configure --with-user=amanda --with-group=backup
>#./make
>#./make install
>#su - amanda
>
>and
>
>bash-2.05a$ amcheck DailySet1
>Amanda Tape Server Host Check
>-----------------------------
>Holding disk /var/amanda/holdingdisk: 1697268 KB disk space
> available, that's plenty
>amcheck-server: slot 2: chg-multi: slot is empty
>amcheck-server: slot 1: chg-multi: slot is empty
>ERROR: new tape not found in rack
>       (expecting a new tape)
>NOTE: skipping tape-writable test
>Server check took 0.807 seconds
>
>Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
>--------------------------------
>ERROR: localhost: [can not execute /usr/local/libexec/runtar:
> Permission denied]
>Client check: 1 host checked in 0.108 seconds, 1 problem found
>
>(brought to you by Amanda 2.4.4)
>

>bash-2.05a$ ls -la /usr/local/libexec/runtar
>-rwsr-x---    1 root     amanda      52748 May 21 14:05
>
>/usr/local/libexec/runtar
>
>bash-2.05a$ grep amanda /etc/passwd
>amanda:x:33:501:Amanda user:/var/lib/amanda:/bin/bash
>
>bash-2.05a$ tail /etc/group
>rpc:x:32:
>xfs:x:43:
>rpcuser:x:29:
>nfsnobody:x:65534:
>nscd:x:28:
>ident:x:98:
>radvd:x:75:
>pcap:x:77:
>backup:x:500:amanda
>amanda:x:501:amanda
>bash-2.05a$
>
>bash-2.05a$ /usr/local/libexec/runtar --version
>tar (GNU tar) 1.13.25
>Copyright (C) 2001 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>This program comes with NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by
> law. You may redistribute it under the terms of the GNU General
> Public License; see the file named COPYING for details.
>Written by John Gilmore and Jay Fenlason.
>bash-2.05a$
>

>¿Can you help me?
>
>Thanks
>Héctor Doblado

In the docs, it mentions that one should unpack it, configure it,
and make it as a normal user, such as the user amanda.  I suspect
you were root when you built it, which puts root perms and
ownership on runtar, and amanda doesn't have permissions to run it
then.

Only for the 'make install' do you become root.
Also, I don't believe you've given it enough options on the
configure line, see the script I just reposted a week or so back
for the general outline of a set of configure options.  Note also
the header of that script, which prevents you from doing all that
as root.  I borrowed that from somebody elses post, and I thank
them anonymously everytime it catches me doing a no-no.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M
by Gene Heskett are: