Amanda-Users

??: ??: Can amanda do online backups, i.e., just to disk?

2003-05-22 22:20:32
Subject: ??: ??: Can amanda do online backups, i.e., just to disk?
From: "tender(???)" <tender AT tencent DOT com>
To: "Joshua Baker-LePain" <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 10:16:05 +0800
hi, does amanda has a manner not to estimate the size?
if data is huge, estimation would take days!
maybe we can set a block size each time amanda should backup,and amanda
just manage the dir structure and proceed till that day a full dump
finish.
i.e , estimation sometimes takes too much time and i just hope amanda
have a mode to backup.

i know that when compiling amanda client part, you can specify which
program to use to actually backup,in this manner one can do something to
backup database.

but if in one box, i both have a database and a file system to
backup,how to switch between the two? this is my case.

tender

-----????-----
???: Joshua Baker-LePain [mailto:jlb17 AT duke DOT edu]
????: 2003?5?9? 19:11
???: tender(???)
??: Aaron Wohl; Dan OBrien; amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
??: Re: ??: Can amanda do online backups, i.e., just to disk?

On Fri, 9 May 2003 at 9:16am, tender(???) wrote

> suggest that when backing up a directory with large amount of
> data,say,100G,client can split that directory into small tarballs.such

> as 1.5G each

I don't see how this would be accomplished in any sane manner, and I
don't
really see the point.

> also amanda should support the backup of databases, such as mysql

It can, with some help.  Search the archives for posts about databases
and
wrapper scripts.

> of course, amanda is expected to support backup to disk with restore
> mechanisms.

It already does.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain