Amanda-Users

Re: amdump ok amrestore not!

2003-05-22 12:57:40
Subject: Re: amdump ok amrestore not!
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: <ryan.moreton AT edge-logic DOT com>, <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 12:53:17 -0400
On Thursday 22 May 2003 11:57, Ryan Moreton wrote:
> [...]
> know about each other and gone through the Amanda FAQ's when I
> encountered some earlier problems. Both machines can now
> communicate successfully between each other and when I run amdump
> it sends me a e-mail stating that everything is ok. I have to
> label the disks using amlabel to ensure that amdump works
> correctly as follows:
>
>#/usr/sbin/amlabel /normal EdgeLogic1
>
>Output of email is as follows:
>These dumps were to tape EdgeLogic1.
>The next tape Amanda expects to use is: a new tape.
>
>STATISTICS:
>                          Total       Full      Daily
>                        --------   --------   --------
>Estimate Time (hrs:min)    0:00
>Run Time (hrs:min)         0:01
>Dump Time (hrs:min)        0:00       0:00       0:00
>Output Size (meg)           0.2        0.0        0.2
>Original Size (meg)         1.8        0.0        1.8
>Avg Compressed Size (%)    10.2        --        10.2
> (level:#disks ...) Filesystems Dumped            3          0
>      3   (1:3) Avg Dump Rate (k/s)       474.1        --
> 474.1
>
>Tape Time (hrs:min)        0:01       0:00       0:01
>Tape Size (meg)             0.3        0.0        0.3
>Tape Used (%)               0.2        0.0        0.2
> (level:#disks ...) Filesystems Taped             3          0
>      3   (1:3) Avg Tp Write Rate (k/s)     7.5        --
> 7.5
>

>NOTES:
>  taper: tape EdgeLogic1 kb 288 fm 3 [OK]
>

>DUMP SUMMARY:
>                                     DUMPER STATS            TAPER
> STATS HOSTNAME     DISK        L ORIG-KB OUT-KB COMP% MMM:SS
> KB/s MMM:SS  KB/s --------------------------
> --------------------------------- ------------ localhost
> /var/opt    1      10     32 320.0   0:001551.4   0:24   2.6
> mogador      /etc/httpd  1      10     32 320.0   0:00 524.8
> 0:07   9.0 mogador      -mcat-4.0.6 1    1870    128   6.8   0:00
> 393.3   0:07  22.5
>
>(brought to you by Amanda version 2.4.2p2)
>
>However I cannot restore the files once they have been backed up
> on the disk. When I attempt a amrestore /dev/nst0 I get the
> following message:
>
>amrestore:   0: skipping start of tape: date 20030521 label
> EdgeLogic1 amrestore: strange amanda header: "AMANDA: FILE
> 20030521 localhost /var/opt lev 0 comp(.g~ program$/bin/tar"
>
>Sometimes I get a different header and sometimes I the header
> isn't being displayed correctly.
>
>I think it has something to do with the tapetype in the
> amanda.conf file: define tapetype ADR {
>    comment "OnStream ADR tape drives"
>    length 30000 mbytes        # 30 Gig tapes
>    filemark 32 kbytes                  # I don't know what this means
>    speed 1579 kbytes          # 1.5 Mb/s
>}
>
>Please find attached configuration files (amanda.conf & disklist)
> for more detail.
>
>Has anybody seen this problem before? Any help would be hugely

There have been lots of problems with OnStream drives over the
years.  As to whether or not these drives can be used with amanda,
I have no idea because it seems they have a holding time of about
an hour in the middle of the tape, and then they autorewind,
rendering them essentially worthless to amanda unless you can
figure out howto maintain them in the streaming mode once the
backup starts.

The problem AIUI is that amanda inspects the tape to see if its the
right one, leaves it sitting at the end of the block containing the
header, then does the estimates (which take time), starts the
dumper running into the holding disk, which may or may not be
slowed by software compressions use (recommended highly by most,
but that also takes time), and when amanda finally gets around to
starting the write to the tape, its a toss up as to whether or not
the tape has been autorewound.  If it's been autorewound, then the
tape header will be overwritten and the tape then becomes
unreadable to amanda.  dd and tar, yes, but not to amanda.

There was a discussion here a few months back about howto do
workarounds for that, but I don't recall that anyone made the
statement that they actually had it working.

Maybe somebody will pipe up with suggestions.  And then my memory
could be faulty about the specifics, its got a lot of years on it.

However I'd make a couple comments about the amanda.conf files.

You have more than one tape device specified and you only need one,
no more.  You should do away with the line for the raw device as
being /dev/st0.  For amanda's use, you absolutely must NOT use the
rewinding device, ever.

You also have the default 'use 290 megabytes' in the holding disk,
which isn't near enough once you actually start to use it with a
30Gb tape.  The holding disk should be at least as large as the
potential backup will be.

There may be other gotcha's, but those 3 are the obvious ones.

Most folks I'd suspect, have solved the 'OnStream problem' by
changeing the brand label/logo on the drive to something else, like
Seagate, H-P, whatever, and who are not now bankrupt, as in gone,
for at least a year now.  I expect tapes are beginning to be scarce
already.

Staples.com has a special on Maxtor drives, 40Gb for 40 bucks after
the rebate, or did have it day before yesterday when I was there to
replace my printer.  I was rather tempted to get 4 of them and set
up a software raid.  But being retired, I keep one eye on the bank
account, the printer was being replaced by one with better,
washable, inks.  Some craft project of the missus's needed it . :(

>Kind Regards,
>
>Ryan Moreton
>ryan.moreton AT edge-logic DOT com

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M